View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:34

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Extracting SFX (not music) 
Puppy Wuppy
Puppy Wuppy

Post Extracting SFX (not music)
I m trying to get some sound effects from MDK I m hoping to use in making a game. The sounds.zip file appears to be a .zip archive, WinRAR even opens it and displays the files but when attempting to extract them I get the following error message: "Unknown method in" and "no files to extract"

I also tried several other extractors but all of them failed. Could anyone help me plz?

17 Nov 2012, 19:44
Administrator
Administrator

Post Re: Extracting SFX (not music)
Hey there p3rsh1ng!

Unfortunately, I'm afraid that you will not find an answer to your question. Some time ago I was looking for the same solution, unsuccessfully. Perhaps only the creators of this game knows the answer.

I hope that one day someone will find a way to deal with this problem.

17 Nov 2012, 22:13
Profile WWW
Puppy Wuppy
Puppy Wuppy

I ve even e-mailed them but got no response. Does it mean they dont want anybody to know this? Thats very unusual nowadays when tons of mods are created for almost all games.

19 Nov 2012, 20:39
Administrator
Administrator

Maybe, but this game was released twelve years ago. I don't think that the creators were thinking about someone who would like to mod their game.

21 Nov 2012, 21:00
Profile WWW
Puppy Wuppy
Puppy Wuppy

I actually found out how to unpack those zip files. Problem is, unpacking zip file isn't enough: wav files inside have no header, i.e. exact freq and other sfx stuff has to be found in order to convert those files.

On bright side, MDK2 can use wav files with headers, so you can put any wav file in override folder and it will work.

(Technical note: MDK2 "mounts" all files onto some kind of file system. Every archive is mounted at same level, so files should be put at override/filename.wav, instead of override/sound/filename.wav)

Programming is love. Programming is life. Respect C. Love Java. Enjoy C#. Like C++. Have fun with Lua. Hate Python. Abuse Low-level. Blame Microsoft. Be always off by one. Remember 3 features of OOP: Encapsulation, Inheritance, Polymorphism.

31 May 2014, 12:27
Puppy Wuppy
Puppy Wuppy

I was thinking abou a different method to get the sounds - recording them during actual gameplay using some software eg. Fraps. The problem is I can get very few CLEAR sounds. There are few silent sections in the game and some sounds cannot be heard without an interference of others.

So my question is this: Is there a console command, that makes the game play sound effects on demand?

BTW I heard that Bioware made headerless sfx on purpose, so they cannot be "stolen". What the heck? They enable music to be ripped from the game and make so much fuss about the sfx? I totally don't get it. On top of that, some of the effects clerly originate in other games - that were NOT made by Bioware.

24 Jan 2016, 15:58
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]