View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:14

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
MDK's Engine: What's Known About, What its Status, Etc. 
Conehead
Conehead

Post MDK's Engine: What's Known About, What its Status, Etc.
Sky diving from the orbital station, Pterodactyl Helmet is here!

I am fascinated with MDK's engine: its appearance, the insane things it can do, and how immense the worlds it creates are. I can see the seeds of Shiny Entertainment's Sacrifice in this game (as well as Planet Moon Studios' Giants: Citizen Kabuto). Because I love all the stuff about MDK's engine, I've been hoping that it was open source, but I've read that wasn't possible. (Sacrifice's engine isn't open source either, due to some certain rights thingy). So I was wondering: what do we know about MDK's engine, and can it be reverse engineered or replicated with our current technology? Can someone in this age create a retro-software based engine that could pull off the same, or similar, craziness that MDK was capable of?

16 Aug 2013, 07:33
Administrator
Administrator

Post Re: MDK's Engine: What's Known About, What its Status, Etc.
It's a pleasure to see another MDK's fan.

I also love games like MDK, Sacrifice and Giants. Shiny Entertainment and Planet Moon were famous for its creativity. As for the engine, I have no idea what you can do with it now. I think it's a good question for the creators of MDK.

One of creators of MDK2 HD said once, that they wanted to bring MDK in HD, but they were unable to locate the source code and source assets. They are from Beamdog, so they previously worked on MDK2 in BioWare. As we all know, the original MDK was created by Shiny Entertainment (different people).

Maybe you can try to ask Nick Bruty about it. He worked on such games like MDK, Earthworm Jim, Giants : Citizen Kabuto, Armed and Dangerous. He now runs a company called Rogue Rocket Games.

http://roguerocketgames.com/forum

16 Aug 2013, 18:49
Profile WWW
Puppy Wuppy
Puppy Wuppy

Post Re: MDK's Engine: What's Known About, What its Status, Etc.
I once managed to hack out some resources from the game by opening the game files using a simple WAD file reader. Pretty sure that could work for a HD remake.

18 Jul 2014, 00:19
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]